Here are a few of the reasons why she took me to court trying to get a few more dollars from me.
- One time I had a job working for the county and after taxes and CS, I was taking home about $150 per week. I needed more money, so anytime there was over time offered, I took it. Somehow she found out about all my over time and she took me to court for her share of that money…and she got it. Then I had to pay more CS even if I didn’t work over time.
- I had bought some land before I even met my ex. We did nothing to it during our whole marriage, and I still owned it after we separated. I needed money, so I sold it at a lower price than I bought it for. The guy I sold it didn’t have the money so I agreed to take interest free payments for four years. My ex took me to court because I was getting a monthly check for this land. The courts considered it “income” and I had to give her her share of it.
- I am an ex navy nuke. I graduated from navy nuclear power school and operated reactors on a nuclear aircraft carrier for 6 years. Because of my divorce and the depression that I went through, I lost any chance of getting into this field after I got out of the navy. However, my ex took me to court trying to get more money because I “had potential”. She wanted support based on $90K when I have never made more than $20K in one year. My average income since I have been divorced has probably been around $5K per year.
- I used to work for an apartment complex as a rental agent. I worked 6 days a week and took home $46 after taxes and CS. It wasn’t much, but at least I had a roof over my head. She took me to court because she wanted me to pay on my rent and utilities. The court did decide that my rent and utilities were a part of my income and I had to pay more support because of it.
- Since I needed more money, I started a painting business at the apartments that I worked. I only have a couple of hundred dollars more a month, but she took me to court for that money too..and won.
When my employer found out they had to take more CS out because of the painting, they refused to give me any more work and I finally got laid off. Not only did I lose my job, but I also lost my place to live. I collected unemployment (but they didn’t include my rent and utilities as income) but that was only $50 per week after CS.
That’s when I decided I had enough. I could never win. I had no job, no place to live, no money, no vehicle, went into a deep depression again, and didn’t know what to do. My doctor told me to get out of town and start over again.
That’s been two years since then. I still have no vehicle, no job, no license, no life, and I haven’t seen or heard my sones in all this time. I live is a small room and this is where I say all day long. I go out and work under the table to make enough to pay for this room and buy some food. This is no life.
So now I’m back to square one again. Where do I go from here? I can’t get enough money to afford an attorney because I can’t even work on the books or they will find me. I don’t have any money to pay any “purge” or bail. I don’t have any money to pay my ex on a “good faith gesture” as some have suggested. I can’t keep living like this because this is no life. And the biggest thing that is driving me for answers is the fact that I can’t see my sons until this is all straightened out. They aren’t getting any younger and you can’t turn back time.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.